Movies & Music on the Lawn Returns to Baton Rouge Gallery Combining Five Silent Films and Louisiana Bands | Entertainment/Life
The Films and Music series on the lawn of the Center for Contemporary Art at the Baton Rouge Gallery begins its 2022 season on Saturday, May 21.
The series has been a mainstay of summers in Baton Rouge for over 20 years, and the gallery will continue that tradition. BRG is delighted to announce five events planned for this summer, mixing bands and films returning to the green space behind the gallery house at 1515 Dalrymple Drive in BREC’s City Brooks Community Park.
The Baton Rouge Gallery’s Movies & Music on the Lawn series combines classic silent films—usually, but not exclusively, from the 1920s and 1930s—with contemporary Louisiana-based musicians who compose and perform unreleased film scores for the film. . The result is a handful of truly unique one-night-only events.
With tickets costing $7 and including bottomless popcorn, this series offers accessible cultural experiences for the whole family.
Members of the Baton Rouge Gallery are admitted free. Tickets for non-members can be purchased at the event entrance or in advance on batonrougegallery.org.
All Movies and Music on the Lawn events begin at 8 p.m. or sunset, whichever comes last. The full lineup for the 2022 Movies & Music on the Lawn series, presented by Cox, includes:
- Saturday, May 21: The Michael Foster Project performing original music for Buster Keaton’s slapstick comedy, “Sherlock Jr.” (1924).
- Saturday, June 25: Le Cerf d’Albâtre performs an original score for the dramatic novel “La Bohème” (1926).
- Saturday July 16: The Lilli Lewis Project performs an original score for “Sidewalk Stories” (1989), a more modern take on silent film with a nod to Charlie Chaplin.
- Saturday, August 20: Kids Night, featuring Baton Rouge Music Studios students performing an original score for the stop motion animation “Shaun the Sheep” (2015). Partners from the Knock Knock Children’s Museum will also be present with activities for children of all ages.
- Saturday September 17: Woorms performs an original Nosferatu score (1922), to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the iconic film.
For more information, call (225) 383-1470 or visit batonrougegallery.org/films-music-on-the-lawn.